Quezon City Mission

Quezon City Mission

Monday, January 6, 2014

Letter Jan 6, 2014

Happy New Years! I hope you all have had a great 2014 so far! My New Year's Eve was kind of a drag, I woke up super sick, and had to stay home all day, and basically slept, read for a little bit, slept. The other elders went on splits so one had to stay in the apartment, and then two would go and work. The whole mission had to be in by 6pm, and they brought me some more medicine and gave me a blessing. I started to feel a little better at night, but not a whole lot. I slept through all the fireworks and bombs that they light off here, which was weird because Elder Abel video taped 6 minutes of it, and it sounded like a war zone. It was pretty crazy.

New Year's day was alright, I felt good enough to work, but everyone just sleeps and eats with their family, and is really hard to teach. We ate at a Less Active's house, we have visited them twice a week for the past 3 weeks, and they actually came to church yesterday! But they live in a pretty poor area, so it's hard for them to get to church. They showed a lot of faith going. We tried to teach a few more people and ended eating at a member's home, but I really didn't have an appetite cause I was still sick. 

Thursday was really interesting because we went to Elder Abel's old area to show the new Elder's around the area because they are both new to it. It was really cool seeing a different area and the people there. It just had a different feel that was hard to explain, and I started to think how I am going to be in new areas, it won't always be like Binangonan. I really like my area, but I am excited to move around and see more, and teach new people! 

Friday we had our follow up meeting for New Missionaries, and that was really cool. President Revillo is a really great man, and very spiritual. You can just tell he cares a lot about us, and wants us to do the best we can. He talked about our purpose as missionaries, and why we are here, and that kind of woke me up, or reinvigorated me. I remembered why I am here, and then thought about my purpose as a missionary, and need to always remember what I am called to do. I have been given such an important responsibility as a missionary it's crazy. After the meeting we went home, which is really far away, so we decided to take advantage of the city, and eat at Burger King, which again was a bummer because I didn't have much of an appetite, but it was still really good. Something I have noticed is the menu's are way more simplified. They only have like 6 things and that's it. McDonald's has a little more, but it is still a lot less stuff on it than back home.

Yesterday was fast and testimony meeting and we had 4 investigators at church, and 11 Less Actives! It was great, but testimony meetings always scare me. A couple members said a few things that made me and Elder Abel look at eachother and shake our heads ha, and I get so nervous for our investigators. So it is really important I think to keep your testimony simple and not crazy ha. Like, be wise. 

This week felt really fast but unproductive because I was sick and just couldn't get myself moving like normal, it was rough. Me and Elder Abel are getting along great, and I learn a lot from his teaching. The language is coming, but I still having a hard time with it. But President told us to not get too stressed about it, and to of course be diligent and not get lazy, but to have faith it will come. I got to meet a lot of missionaries this week and it is really amazing how easy you can tell who has been out long and who is fairly new. Even if they are older in age, they may only be out for 6 months, and you can just tell by their countenance and how they conduct themselves. You can see the changes that they made in their lives, and it really comes from serving. They just go out of their way naturally to help other people and seriously don't think about themselves. It's truly a Christlike attribute anyone can obtain through serving and having Charity. 

I hope everyone has a great week, and just a thought I had about the Philippines, some of the areas I have been too, some of the poorer ones, are like Gotham City in Batman Begins, like the metal shacks, and alleys and stuff. That was kind of the best analogy I could think of. Any way, Happy New Year! 

-Elder Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment